View Single Post
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

A couple points to respond to, mainly from Old School.

1) The input of the coaches on officiating has a lot to do with the area. I know assignors who will allow coaches to ding officials completely, but I also know some assignors who will deliberately put an official who a coach tried to ding on the coach's next game to prove he's in charge. I don't think either is a very good approach, but the point is that they both exist, and I'd much rather work for a group where coaches had less input, I think that leads to fairer officiating.

2) In Old School's scenario, it was poor game management to be aware of trash talking and not take care of business. That led directly to the flagrant Ts. Warn loudly so it's clear that no more back and forth will be tolerated and then double T, everyone will get the message and you project an image of strength. The coaches and players might get pissed at you, but at least you show them that you are firmly in charge and thus manage the game.

3) In the OP, something precipitated the attack and it either was past history or something that you didn't see or hear during the game. My advice is that if there's any tape of the game that you get a hold of that to help you defend yourself. Who knows in a lot of these AAU games what the history between the players is off the court or if there were past incidents. Or the kid may have just snapped, but given the reaction of the coach running the kid outta the gym to prevent him from being arrested, my bet is dollars to dimes that this player/team have history. Best wishes to you, hope everything turns out good on your end.