View Single Post
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by celebur
It also agrees with common sense. This case cannot be ruled a D3K because the ball was neither caught nor dropped. And the ball has to be dead, so no D3K either.

I suppose some people may argue for a foul ball, but I'd go with the strike out.
Agreed.

But here is my concern. NFHS 7.2.1.b - A strike is charged to the batter when: a pitched ball is struck at and missed.

Seems clear, in the OP the first swing should be ruled a strike. Now what about the 'follow through' contact of the ball?

I am either overlooking why contacting the ball should be dead on the follow through swing in section 1 of Rule 5 - Dead Ball and Suspension of Play, or it isn't there. So I go to the rules governing interference, and this is the closest I can find. 7.4.4: Batter is out: The batter interferes with the catcher's fielding or throwing by leaning over home plate, by stepping out of the batter's box, by making any other movement which hinders action at home or the catchers attempt to play on a runner ...

Granted, technically, the player is not a runner, but a batter-runner, but there doesn't seem to be anything I can find that would cause the contacting of the ball on the follow through to be dead.

I'm not arguing that it shouldn't be, I'm thinking either I'm not looking hard enough or there is something missing in the book.

Just looking for some help.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"

Last edited by MNBlue; Thu May 17, 2007 at 10:33am.