Thread: My 1ST Ejection
View Single Post
Old Wed May 16, 2007, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy
Let me try this analogy - if you were at a jr high school, and some kid was giving a campaign speech for student government president and added a "hell" or a "damn" in the speech - how long to you think it would take before the kid had his butt hauled down to Mr. Principal's office for a long lecture and possible suspension, because he violated the school policy against profanity. And you know what - most parents would come to their child's defense, and the schools would cite it's tolerance policy. Is it dumb, certainly, beyond all description of common sense. Is it going to change, probably not. Is there anything you can do about it, probably not as well.

I umpire games for a league that has one of those beyond all description of common sense rules about profanity. But it's no different than the jr high - if it isn't tolerated there, why should it be tolerated at a baseball game involving players at the same age level?

BTW, I've been to many MLB games.
Tolerance/punishment for this sort of language from his parent? Fine. But from me? No @%^ing way. Not my place to parent these kids. It's my place to officiate the game.