View Single Post
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 08:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Where does it say that?

Two things I think the brain wizards wants to move away from.
1.) Slowing the game down. Apparently, there was too much conversation going on with the HC that they felt this would help faciliate the game faster and keep it moving.
Not sure how this slows down the game. The person going table side is not likely to have the ball in most cases and on FTs they play no role in the administration of the FT. If anything it slows down the game because I have a coach yelling at you across the court trying to get an explanation from an official that just ran in the other direction. If anything the games I had this weekend it made things worse. Instead of a quiet conversation, it was a yelling match.

Quote:
2.) My reasoning. Dialog with the coaches is becoming a problem. Too much of it is occurring betwen the coach and official after a call. We want to keep the focus on the game and not have so much discussion between these parties. Officials holding a clinic after each call is not what we want either. IOW, I think the coaches where taking advantage of this and was constantly working us because they knew you had to come to them after you made a call. It's the assigners that don't like it. They see a trend and they want to move away from it. I like the move, it's a good chess board move.
First of all I rarely ever had much conversation with any coach during the table side mechanic. I will admit that when the mechanic first was introduced at the HS level, I thought it would be a lot of back and forth. It did just the opposite. If the coach had something to say he was able to comment with the official standing right next to him who made the call instead of asking an official that did not even see what was called and why. The only people that did not seem to handle it were younger officials that have not yet understood what to say to a coach and younger coaches that do not know how to pick their spots. I might only have had one conversation with a coach during an entire game while a before it was many talks across the court. I do not know where you are officiating, but even the games I watched this was not even a problem. If anything the conversation was short and sweet and it was over.

Quote:
What gets me is this and I got to get use to it. The opposite table official is the one that gets replaced. So if you are the C or T opposite the table, you administer the F/T's and lose your Cadillac position.
I do not even know what this is suppose to mean.

Peace