View Single Post
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
[In defense of Leyland]
And how many other stoopid questions were asked before that stoopid question, I wonder.
First of all, there are no stupid questions; only stupid people who ask questions.

Second of all, while I respect "succint" , it wasn't really a stupid question. It's the first time the Tigers have faced this high-priced, highly-touted free-agent pitcher. It's not unreasonable to ask the manager if he has any thoughts that might might not come up with a pitcher with whom he's more familiar.

Third of all, saying "I don't give a [bleep]" is probably not an appropriate response for a manager to give, even to a stupid question.

Quote:
Congratulations to the Red Sox. They bid, bought and got Daisuke Matsuzaka for 6 years for the bargain basement cost of 103,000,000.
They have the pitcher who is 4th in wins, 4th in K and 5th in Innings pitched.
Honestly, I share this sentiment. One of the things that Red Sox fans liked about the Red Sox is that they didn't build a team simply by throwing money at people. That's what the Yankees do. Yeah, so the Yankees had a miserable first half. They'll spend another $80 million at the trading deadline and win the division. It's legal, but it's not particularly sporting if you can simply buy your way to the playoffs every year.

But now, that's exactly what we've done with the Drew and Matsuka signings. Instead of opposing the Yankees, we basically are the Yankees, without all the World Series trophies. If we win another World Series, who's gonna complain, right? But I'll still like the '04 win better, with only 2 big free agents on the team (Manny and Schill).