View Single Post
Old Mon May 14, 2007, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL
We have a new guy in our group this year who is left handed. I have been prodding and prodding, but he can't, or won't put the indicator in the left hand!

Has decent mechanics and stance and will make a good umpire, but with the indicator/clicker/counter in the righy hand, and the ball bag on the left hip (only), he just looks backwards! At least he has learned the strike/out with the right! It's gotta be a bit awkward for a lefty to learn.

I was watching this guy saturday though and this thought struck me, I have never seen an indicator made for the right hand! There's probably a reason......
Left-handed... Right-handed... The reason why they want it in the left hand is simply for conformity among umpires. Strike/out is done with the right hand. Honestly, I wouldn't want to have my indicator in the hand that's the most signaling on the field. Sometimes, I lose my grip on it, and it has gone flying a few times.

My father was an umpire, and he's left-handed. He never had a problem with it, and neither should the new guy.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.