View Single Post
Old Sun May 13, 2007, 01:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Shot Clock ???

From refnrev: "One of the most interesting thing I have ever seen was a HS girls V game between a run and gun team and a slow down team."

Many years ago, after officiating a junior varsity boys game between South Catholic (Hartford, CT) and Bristol (CT) Central, I stayed to watch the varsity game that followed, and decided to sit right behind the South Catholic bench, because I wanted to watch Coach Joe Reilly, who at the time was considered one of the best coaches in Connecticut.

Coach Reilly knew that he had an uphill battle. Bristol Central was ranked number one in the state and had a kid named Huckaby, who would later go on to star for Boston College, as well as a few other Division I prospects. Coach Reilly decided to run a stall offense. I couldn't believe how well coached and how patient his players, led by his point guard son, were. They were instructed to only take uncontested layups for the entire game. South Catholic lost that game 17 to 14, but could have won the game if they hadn't missed a wide open layup and a few foul shots. It was one of the most interesting, and exciting, games that I've ever observed. I believe that this was when the NFHS had the "lack of action" rule so South Catholic couldn't just hold the ball.

I know a lot of officials would disagree with me, probably the majority, especially those who officiate college ball, as well as high school ball, but I don't think that we need a shot clock in high school basketball. Just my, probably minority, opinion, for what it's worth.