Thread: Legal pickoff?
View Single Post
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Damn few MLB RHPs step and throw to first. Watch a few games. It's jump turns, jab steps and the occasional disengage. As occcasional as it is, it's still more prevelant for RHPs than stepping and throwing.
Breaking contact with the rubber while making a jump move (or jab step) is NOT considered disengaging the rubber. If the pitcher throws the ball out-of-play while making such a move the base award is ONE because the throw is considered to have been made while in contact with the rubber - even though the pitcher is NOT in contact with the rubber.

On the other hand, if he first disengages the rubber (by stepping back) and THEN throws the ball out-of-play the base award is TWO.

I maintain, you will almost NEVER see a professional pitcher disengage (i.e. stepping back) the rubber prior to throwing to first. I can't remember the last time I've seen it.

Left-handers will sometimes make a snap throw by first stepping back. They do this out of necessity because they do not step toward first with their free foot when making such a throw. That particular move is also fairly rare.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN