Thread: winning pitcher
View Single Post
Old Fri May 04, 2007, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixlehs
Already sent a note off to the FED rules committee, plain and simple accorfing to this "RULE" in the scenario I outlined if the releiver gives up the 5th run in the 7th inning the starter gets the loss but if the releiver would give up the 5th run in the 8th inning he gets the loss. So you have a rulle that fluctuates based on what inning it is, not asking you guys to do anything about I just wanted someone to confirm the rule so I could without question know how moronic that rule is.
Six, it's really not based on the inning - it's based on who's on the rubber (either on the field or on the line-up) when the other team goes ahead or ties up the game.

Part of the reason is just the nature of the game of baseball. If the starting pitcher hadn't let the other team get ahead 3-2, the manager probably wouldn't have replaced him. As many have pointed out (ad nauseum, in the case of the CLE-BAL "appeal play"), the dynamics of how a team plays a game are very much changed by different scores. When his team is behind, the manager may be more aggressive in some situations and less aggressive in others.

Yes, the rule may be unfair on occasion, but it's how baseball works. (I'm sure some of the more experienced baseball guys could tell you when that rule came into effect - I'd be willing to bet it's been in the book for a while.) That said, good luck trying to change it; you're going to run into a lot of headwind.