View Single Post
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 03:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
I see your point, Steve, but I see a lot of the opposite also.

I was under the impression that HSM wearers touted the fact that since the HSM had such better vision and so on, that they were freed of the requirement to take it off as often as mask-wearers do. I know a HSMer certainly would have it off for the plate meeting, but I see HSMers keep it on while making lineup changes, casual chatting with a coach b/w innings, etc, and I see them certainly keep it whilst in a rotation, etc. Traditional mask-ers obviously remove the mask for those events.

So, is it 'policy' for HSMers to only remove it when an ejection is imminent? Would this umpire have kept it on for a 'calm' discussion with the coach?
I wore the helmet for three seasons, and making lineup changes was the only time I kept it on other than for pitches, and even then I would usually remove it. I was not above dropping it onto the grass to free up my hands, if necessary.

During play I pulled the helmet just like a mask as soon as the ball was hit (forward), and removed it during conversations, etc. I never looked at the helmet as being freed from any requirement to remove it, just for better protection.

If and when I return to umpiring, it will be with a conventional mask and 6 stitch hat.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25