View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 13, 2002, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
The NCAA Women's ruling is that a player who is a secondary defender (help defense) may not take a "charge" directly under the basket UNLESS the offensive player is dribbling parallel to the baseline...a couple things to understand: 1)this ruling DOES NOT apply to the primary defender - in other words, if B3 picks up defense on A2 at the head of the key, establishes legal guarding position, is moving legally, etc., and gets plowed by A2 under the basket - that would be a PC foul...2)the parallel to the baseline provision is because the offensive player could be dribbling across the key for a reverse lay-in...3)the purpose is to stop weak-side or help defenders from stepping in late under the basket in hopes of drawing a PC foul...it eliminates some rough play and eliminates what many people - obviously not Mr. DeNucci - consider to be bad defense...hope this helps...

[Edited by rockyroad on Mar 13th, 2002 at 01:26 PM]
Seeing it in detail like this makes a big difference to me, as I sit here in the basement trying to concoct an opinion of someone I've never met in a situation I've never before thought about. She didn't just say, "No PC under the basket. Period." Hmmm, perhaps her interp deserves a little more consideration. I may end up disagreeing with her after that consideration, but I'm guessing she didn't go off half-cocked as I had been assuming.

Drake M:

Actually these various detailed situations were not what we hashed to death a couple of months ago. As described by rockyroad above, this is a very different ruling from what I had been assuming Eli Roe, crew, and stripes were talking about. This is not just any old defender under the basket at any old time, as in the NBA. I may still disagree with Barb Jacobs in the end, but it's good to see that she's not as far out to lunch as has been implied.