View Single Post
Old Tue May 01, 2007, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Don't beat yourself up with trying to catch every travel that occurs. This is a nit-picky call that can ruin your game if you're calling it too much. A game that has a lot of traveling calls borders on being over-officiated and it makes you look like a rookie, imo. Just referee the game and let the travels come to you. If you're not seeing it, good, that means it's not occurring, continue to play ball and keep your focus on the game and getting the obvisous calls.
Missing steps along the baseline and in the paint is an area where many coaches are unforgiving, especially if you're working with a partner who's catching the steps and blowing his/her whistle.

I don't generally beat myself up when a coach gives me grief (politely) about missing a travel, but when they start giving my P grief about calling the travels along the baseline when I'm not...then I get upset. If my partner's catching hell because he's being watchful and I'm not, then I get frustrated 'cause I sure owe him a better game then what I've been calling.

I'm new to the officiating thing and I've said this before in other posts: I haven't reached the experience level yet to grasp the subtle nuances of the "game interrupter," whether it's a 3-second lane violation or traveling or whatever. Perhaps as my experience level increases, I will gain insight into this vague and mystical concept which currently befuddles me.

For right now I may or may not agree with the rules as written, but I study and practice and train in the hopes to be hired to enforce them without bias or prejudice.

I don't agree with paying taxes either, but I haven't missed an April 15th yet....