View Single Post
Old Tue May 01, 2007, 07:59am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski
I could really use some help with the subject of refereeing the defense and what to watch for when the ball is in your primary.
Watch for illegal actions on the ball that causes a disadvantage. One of the reason why they say watch the defense is you don't want to penalize good defensive tactics. One of the best examples is if you have a lot of contact on the ball and the defender is standing there with his hands up, and the ball is brought to the defense, not the other way around; you got nothing because watching the defense, you can see that he's just standing there with his arms up and has not done anything illegal. I had one this weekend where some may disagree, but B4 got his hands up too late and it hit the shooters arm while in the release of his shoot. That's too much disadvantage so I called a foul on B4.

Quote:
When doing this, I believe I’m catching the on-ball fouls pretty good but I’m pretty sure I am missing some travels and maybe other non-ball match-up fouls.
Don't worry about what you don't see. Just call what you do see, and remember, you got a partner.

Quote:
Also, I find it difficult to determine who the OOB is on when there is a scramble or a tip of a hand out of no where. I’m sure my technique is flawed and would greatly appreciate some insight of you more experienced refs. Please help.
This is a jump ball. Check with your partner first, if niether of you have it, it's a jump ball. What I do in these situations is I examined what just happened, and make a determination in the event I am not sure. What I mean if A1 has the ball, and B1 agressively attacks and knocks the ball loose (might have been a foul there but I didn't call it) and mad scramble ensues and ball OOB. We'll keep it with the offense.