Thread: Warm-up Pitches
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump
In your original post you made it clear that you had changed the rules
These are your words not mine. I did not say that I had changed any rules. In fact, it was crystal clear that I stated that I was enforcing a specifc rule under specific conditions.

You may not agree with my application of the rule, which is your perogative.

Quote:
to fit your dislike of the pitcher leaving her mask on the ground.
To quote Ronald Reagan, "Well...there you go again". I did not say that I liked or disliked anything.

Quote:
You clearly stated, unless I misunderstood, that you automatically deduct one pitch from what she would have gotten originally.
Yipee...Something in my OP was actually understood at face value.

Quote:
I simply pointed out that the rule book gives her 1 minute, despite where her mask is laying. You have no authority as a umpire to deduct from her number of warm up pitches based on wearing or not wearing a mask.
Dang! Just when I thought we were getting somewhere. I will take you on this point. I have every bit of authority and the responsibility to reduce the number of pitches based on any factor that I deem detrimental to the enforcement of the rule.

To support my case, let me give some examples - none of which involve the "Game Face":
1. Pitcher has thrown 3 pitches that the catcher had to retrieve each off the back stop...one of which got back to the pitcher via center field. Dude, in my game, the next pitch is going down.

2. Pitcher is standing in the circle but catcher is putting on gear in the dugout. Coaches are standing by the dugout door, chatting it up. Catcher comes out and I tell her how many pitches she gets. In some cases, I simply call "Batter Up".

3. Catcher (or coach) is warming up P. She throws a pitch. Recieves the ball from C. Walks all the way out of the circle (remember the Mad Hungarian?) and then liesurely throws pitch #2. Now way she is making it to 5.

Quote:
Whether she can accomplish everything she wants to in less than one minute was not your statement or the basis of my argument. The deduction of one pitch from what she would have gotten originally is my point of contention.
Obviously you read my post, but not my mind. I didn't mean to get out in the weeds right off the bat.

According to my notes from the clinics we had when this rule went into effect last year, at 50 seconds you tell C to throw down, at 70 seconds if a pitch has not been thrown, call BALL 1.

In my pre-game meeting I inform both coaches that we are strictly enforcing the 1-minute/5-pitch rule. In my games, she gets 5 pitches if we are ready to play after 1 minute.

I know how long it takes for this equipment to put on. And adjust the number of pitches accordingly.

If you show me an example of a player that can accomplish "this" all within the prescribed time limit, I will change my position and buy you a steak dinner. However, I am not going to have an "automatic equipment time out" at the beginning of each half-inning.