View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
I see your points, and could probably be led to interpret the situation this way. But here are my questions:

Does a courtesy runner NOT qualify as a player? 3-3-2

The other issue I have, is that had the offensive coach substituted #8 for F2, all of this is irrelevant, since #8 is a player and the coach could substitute for #8, either by re-entry or another eligible sub. But, by declaring #8 a courtesy runner, #8 is locked to the basepath, even though by being able to substitute for a CR, the coach doesn't lose any options had he originally substituted in the first place.
I agree the issue goes away if the runner had been a pinch runner instead of a CR.

A CR is a player wrt the general rules regarding players (proper uniform, etc.), but she is not in the lineup. By definition, becoming a CR does not enter the player in the game wrt entry, batting order, or re-entry. So, if the CR can have a sub, what position in the batting order does this sub occupy? If it is the catcher's position, then the sub is for the catcher, not the CR. If it is no position, then she is not a sub, but a CR for a CR.

In the heat of the moment, I may very well have allowed it, just as the OP did. But, given the time to think it through, I don't think it is legal.