View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 05:19am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMEngmann
I think the reason I don't like these lists is because I don't agree with the philosophy that officials should try to prevent technical fouls and try to avoid calling them (usually through warnings and the like). We are not out there to be a nice guy, we are there to run a game, and the nicer we are, often, the more liberties that are taken.

Additionally, officials are different people with different personalities and different attributes, but we all have to maintain control of a game. Our personalities, people skills, physical appearance, age, etc all play into what we have to do to run a game, and what works for one guy might not work for another. I think these checklists play into a one size fits all mentality that doesn't really work.
What he said.

Everybody sets their own tolerances and limits. As long as you are consistent and the players/coaches know what they can and cannot get away with, everything usually works out OK. If you can keep the game under control and keep the unsporting crap out of it also, you're doing your job.