View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 02:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMEngmann
I think the reason I don't like these lists is because I don't agree with the philosophy that officials should try to prevent technical fouls and try to avoid calling them (usually through warnings and the like). We are not out there to be a nice guy, we are there to run a game, and the nicer we are, often, the more liberties that are taken.
Now, there are certainly some cases in which coaches abuse officials who won't T them up when push comes to shove, but I think a certain amount of warning should, in some cases, be given. For example, you get a whiney coach who wants to throw his hands up and give the traveling sign every time he think we missed one. I'm going to warn him, and if he continues, then he gets the T. I don't think it does anyone any good to T him up straight away. If you warn him and he stops, problem solved. He continues, you T him up, then maybe he stops. He doesn't learn, does it again, then T number 2 will have him sitting outside in the parking lot. The warning took 5 seconds, and could have stopped things from getting any more heated than necessary.

Quote:
Additionally, officials are different people with different personalities and different attributes, but we all have to maintain control of a game. Our personalities, people skills, physical appearance, age, etc all play into what we have to do to run a game, and what works for one guy might not work for another. I think these checklists play into a one size fits all mentality that doesn't really work.
It seems like you're under the impression that this is going to go out as a, this is when and only when you should ever give a technical foul and these are the methods for doing it. But something tells me this is going to just be given as a guide to guys on what to think about when giving a T. The guys, no matter how hard any organization tries, are never going to do things EXACTLY like you tell them to. They're going to personalize them. With this, that's okay, with the definition of travel and illegal dribbles that some of my partners have had, it's a bad thing.

Quote:
In my opinion, if you want to help your officials out, instill a general philosophy on when to call technical fouls, similar to what the NBA has done this year, which outlines clearly what conduct warrants a T, and what is acceptable conduct.
It seems to me that that's what this list is trying to do. Give an impression of the things that go into giving a technical foul, and what is and is not unacceptable behavior.