View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 29, 2007, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
sort of on topic -- at least, it's about coach/official relationship

At my 8 yr old son's baseball game. Not T-ball, btw. My son's team is up to bat. Little kid at the plate is very small. Pitcher has some speed. First pitch, batter steps back out of the box, just as the ball is released, ball bounces on the plate, ump calls "Strike!" Everyone looks dumbfounded. Coach ( who is standing near-by says nothing). I think, hmmm... Coach say, "Manny, stay in the box. Don't step back." I realize, it's a strike because he stepped out of the box.

Next pitch batter holds position, ump calls ball because it was way, way outside. Next pitch is way inside, batter ducks back, ump calls strike. Next pitch, same thing. 3 strikes, and the 3rd out.

Coach comes down to the plate and quietly says something to the ump while holding onto the batter's shoulder. Batter is crying. Coach says "Ump, I really think that ball was a threat." Ump says, "He stepped back before the pitcher released the ball." Coach says, "I understand, but..." Ump interrupts, "he didn't wait to see where the ball was going." Coach looks annoyed, but turns to walk away, with the kid, who I now realize is her (coach's) kid. Ump walks after them and repeats, "Coach, he stepped out before the ball was realeased." She says, "I get it okay? Sheez!" There is this tense moment, then they both turn and walk away from each other.

Dad behind me says, "That's her husband."

I'm wondering what the heck the kid is thinking!!