View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 29, 2007, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
Alright guys,

How do you deal with the "gorilla arm" when a pitcher is in the set position and has that dang arm swinging with the ball in his hand. I saw it in two games today using FED rules...what are the official interpretations on this FED and OBR. What are we watching for here? How can we use preventative officiating when dealing with this? I don't see any rules in FED that specifically address the gorilla arm. I guess I'm throwing myself to the wolves here...but I could see situations where a potential illegal feint could take place with a pitcher who uses this stance...help me understand this interpretation fellas...or if there isn't one, clarify that too please. Thank you. I've read FED rule 6 ART 3.
The aforementioned is IMO an "area" ruling , meaning if your association as a group wants you to enforce then you enforce.

The "gorilla arm" ruling IMO is synonymous with the old FED rule that said you could not "check a runner".

That rule (cannot check a runner) was also not enforced unillaterally across the country. It was an area by area ruling which made it inconsistent, hence the FED changed it.

If the "gorilla arm" is not enforced perhaps FED will change the ruling in the future.

Pete Booth