View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 03:18pm
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Using your twisted logic of language...what would a "balk to first" be? I've never seen a balk that sent a runner to first. But, then, the sky is blue in my world. What color is it in yours?
There isn't by definition because the balk rule doesn't apply to batters - only runners. You could have a balk to second, third or home.

Look at my twisted logic on this one. Try the term WALK.

F1 gives up a WALK - Noun, Base on balls
F1 WALKS in the winning run. Walks in this case refers to the action of giving a base on balls and forcing the winning run in from 3B.

Same thing, different word - balk

F1 commits a Balk -noun
F1 balks R1 TO second. The action of pitcher forces R1 to move to 2B, therefore it is a balk to 2B.

You could use bunt as an example as well. B1 bunted R1 TO 2B.

If you want to know where my twisted logic comes from - I'm a chemical engineer whose 29-year career is based on thinking with logic. And like I said, I'm not the one who raised the issue.

Just ask a good accountant "what's one and one" and the accountant says "whatever you want it to be". Is it realistic - no. But it is perception. What Tim C thinks in his post is an absolute - you can't balk TO 2B. My logic says you can and I proved it, despite the fact that that was maybe not what he intended. I read his statement literally since there were no qualifiers and responded accordingly.