View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 01:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp
This past weekend I had a situation where A1 was going in for a break-away layup and defender B1 was making a valid attempt to block the shot. However, not only did B1 come into contact with the ball, there was, in my opinion, excessive contact as she ended up contacting A1 around the neck. I immediately came up with the "intentional" foul mechanic and gave team A two shots and the ball at the point nearest the foul. The call was the correct one to make, so no question there. My point is the name of the foul and the mechanic are confusing.
I agree with RUT, unless the person hit the floor from the contact, this is not intentional by definition of the rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp
B coach wanted to know how I could call an "intentional" foul when her player was clearly playing the ball. I explained that the intentional foul was due to excessive contact not because it was on purpose. So, why do we call the same foul for two very different types of fouls?
Because of the punishment. The offense gets the ball back after 2 F/T's at the POI. Intentional fouls are also not technical fouls. You get 5 intentional fouls, but only 2 technical fouls. Because of this payload, I do not agree with upgrading a dead ball intentional foul to a technical unsportmanslike foul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp
Why don't we keep the intentional foul for "on purpose" fouls, and come up with a new foul type, and mechanic, for "excessive contact" fouls? Lumping them together seems to be a source of confusion for coaches, fans and officials.
Because it all fits rather nicely to me under one umbrella. Only one thing to remember. Easier to administer across the board. BTW, the coach was not confused, he was just mad for you upgrading the foul to intentional and was looking for an angle to poke at you with. From the sounds of it, he was successful. However, there is no confusion once you learn what the rule means and what it's purpose is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp
"Coach - the intentional foul I called was not because the foul was intentional." Huh? Separating these into two different foul types would be an improvement IMO.
That's just in your opinion. Increasing the # of foul types and mechanic signals makes it more confusing to me. Less is better if we're talking the same rule which this is. Remember, this change would have to be nation wide so to incorporate something so small over the entire nation would introduce more confusion to me. Let's just stick to changing the big things.