View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

I guess I am in the minority here; the NCAA manual reminds us of how I understood ASA to teach the game. This is a live ball game, and that means there should be a reason to make the ball dead. I have had several members of the NUS as UIC at an ASA NationalChampionship Final clearly state that, unless a player is likely to lose a limb or is in an equally perilous situation, NO BASE UMPIRE SHOULD CALL TIME. If it needs to be called, only the plate umpire, with the entire field in front, should call time. If U1 has rotated home, that is the umpire who calls time.

The runner asks for time; if there is no reason to grant it, don't. The coach asks for time; I will ask "why?" Runners are capable of standing up without time being granted. Runners are capable of brushing off without time being granted. Coaches can speak or give signals without time being granted. The only situation when I grant time is when a fielder is holding a tag while the runner is holding a base, and we are simply killing time waiting, since the fielder thinks she should keep holding that tag. Or, obviously, if it appears a runner may be injured (even then, looking to the plate umpire to be sure all play has ended). Otherwise, I do not grant time; runners and coaches learn quickly that it is unnecessary.

Oh yeah, base umpire, call time and sweep the base, and your NCAA evaluator is writing away. You only stop play to sweep a base if it is completely covered. Otherwise, it is only to be done in already dead moments, like between innings, pitching changes, etc.

The defense asks for time; with runners on, if the ball is not in the circle in possession of the pitcher, it simply should not be granted. That is basic.

Now, l know that Mike prefers the slowpitch protocol of calling time automatically whenever play "has stopped". He will argue that would render the circle and the lookback rule unnecessary. But, not even he will state that is what fastpitch mechanics are at this time. I don't think it is overly officious; it is how the fastpitch game is officiated at the highest levels. And there is no reason to play differently at any other level.