View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Runners requesting time

I can swear I saw something recently either on this board or the NFHS board regarding this, but even trying searches I have been unable to locate any threads that talk about this.

Do you grant time when a runner slides safely into a base when the only reason for the request is to stand up safely? I'm hesitant to kill the play when there is no good reason to do so, but I have been unable to find anything in the rule book or case book which addresses this topic. Most of the time what I find is that a runner quickly requests time, stands up, breaking contact with her base while the fielder returns the ball to the pitcher. Meanwhile I never signal nor verbalize "Time". Runners seem to have it ingrained into them that a slide should always be followed with a request for time, and fielders are used to having umpires grant them time.

I'm asking this because I encountered a situation where a runner slid safely into third (advancing on a wild pitch) and immediately she and her third base coach are requesting time. I asked the runner why she was requesting time and got only a puzzled look in return. Meanwhile, third base coach tells me "Well if you're not going to give her time I'll get the plate umpire to do it." He follows up by asking the plate umpire for time and has it immediately granted.

I guess part of my reasoning for not killing the play is a question I asked last year regarding umpires getting back to their positions at the conclusion of a play. Even though most of my partners turn their backs on the play, I have taken the advice I received here and hustled quickly back to my position while never taking my eyes away from any possible plays. Thus, my thinking that I'm doing this because the ball should remain live.

Thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.