View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 06:16am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
So, JR, are you now saying that size matters!

Too bad that you are completely ignorant of the officiating system of soccer. It really makes all that abacus work worth absolutely nothing.

Soccer uses THREE referees, one center and two assistants, plus a 4th official on high level matches to watch the players. All of them are empowered to call fouls. The two assistants do much more than just call the ball out-of-bounds as you so sadly believe. The most recent World Cup Final proves this as, according to the official FIFA match report, it was the 4th official who observed Zidane's headbutt, told the nearest AR, and he then informed the center referee, who displayed the red card.
Yes, as it relates to the size of the playing surface, I sureasheck am saying that size matters.

The two assistants in soccer are required to be on each sideline, not on the field. If either of them is required to make a call on something that occurs in the center of the field, that means that they must make their call from a minimum of 40 yards or 120 feet away. And if the play occurred 20 yards behind where the side official is located, you can add even more distance on.The basketball equivalent(high school length) would be to line up two basketball courts end-to-end, put an official at the end of the first court, and then ask them to call something that happens around center, or farther, on the next court. And at the same time add another 12 players on the courts to help block your view. Yup, that's great coverage that you're advocating, Nevada. Hell, we worry about the C in a 3-man crew calling across court, and you think that it's OK to call something that might happen a court and a half away.

I'll stick to my feelings about soccer coverage. You can't equate the officiating of that game as to how a basketball game is expected to be officiated. Or a football game, for that matter. I'll also sureashell stick to my opinion of your proposed age restrictions for basketball officials. They are strictly without merit, as in completely stoopid.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Apr 24, 2007 at 06:40am.