View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire
I don't want to argue the point, but how many baseball players have been killed or hurt permanantly by a ball in the face since dual ear flaps on helmets came out?
At least 4 have been killed that I've read about.

Quote:
How many of them knew how to get out of the way of a pitch?
Don't know ... can't ask them. Just know that they did not, in fact, get out of the way.

Quote:
I would submit that face guards on helmets will cause more injuries than they prevent because they will cut into a batter or runner's field of vision, plus the misery of wearing a helmet all the time on a field.
Submit whatever you like - do you have any printed stories relating the deaths of players whose deaths were caused by wearing a faceguard?
Quote:
Inherent in any sport is the risk of injury, and putting masks on batters and fielders is not going to save anyone, it just makes sure the FED is not sued by somebody looking for a money grab.
I don't think this is a lawsuit thing (although it could be). I think it's a reaction to the recent deaths caused by getting hit in the face with a ball going 90 mph. And I don't understand why ANYONE would be against this at all. What harm does it cause? Is that harm enough to balance out the risk of death?