View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Speaking ASA, there is clearly no rule to back up the OUT call, but there is a case play (or used to be - I don't have a case book beyond the '04 book... I think it is about time I ordered a new one...) 10.8-1 that supports calling a player out for "flagrant misconduct" and the play is, in fact, a batter who just hit a home run. The batter is ruled out, ejected, his run does not count, and the runner on 3rd base is returned. The case play is silent on whether the runner on 3rd had or had not already scored, but since the flagrant miscondut in the play was throwing the bat in anger, I would assume he had not scored yet.

That case play is the interpretation Mike was referring to earlier in this thread.
Obviously I agree with the way you handled the play.

Case book 2005/06 refers to a batter who threw his bat in anger, only to have the ball wind up over the fence. Umpire rules dead ball, out for flagrant misconduct and ejected...all runners put back.

In your case the flagrant misconduct took place after the run scored.

I would also defer to your judgement on the best way to prevent mayhem since you knew the players.

You are not a news reporter taking notes at the scene of a fight.