View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy
Wouldn't you say if one foot is completely out of the batter's box that it's blatant - or the batter is stepping on home plate?
Stepping on home plate for a bunt is blatant. This is the only time I've ever called a batter out for being out of the box. Specifically, the batter squared around to bunt early...he was clearly standing on the plate...he squared around so early that I had plenty of time to look down and see it AND say to myself, "I'm going to call him out if he bunts this ball," all before the pitch even came.

If a batter is not bunting, but is getting in the box with one foot clearly out of the box, and the catcher makes a comment, I just tell the batter to move a little. (I've done this maybe once in my career...and there was no problem with the batter complying with my request.)

Quote:
It's an easy one to ignore, but come tournament time, what are you going to do? Nobody goes looking for them, but what usually happens is that the batter is standing on the inside edge and his natural motion carries him out.
If you can see his "natural motion" carry him out of the box and cause his foot to be on the ground completely outside of the box at the moment (not after) he contacts the ball...then you're a better umpire than me.

Quote:
That's when I start to watch.
When? When the ball is on the way and the batter starts his "natural movement" associated with his swing? If so, then I guarantee that you're missing too many pitchers.

Quote:
Usually you'll catch it on bunt situations.
Agree...I've only ever called one in a bunt situation.

Quote:
The thing is you can't not call it if you see it unless you want to claim ignorance of the situation to the opposing coach.
Never once, EVER, had a professional or college coach complain about a batter being out of the box on a swing, PERIOD. There is a reason John Hirshbeck, prior to every one of his plate jobs, wipes out the back line of each batter's box: because nobody wants that rule strictly enforced. You'll get into a craphouse if you do call it on the higher levels.

If an opposing coach ever did come out to complain that a swinging batter was out of the box (which, amazingly, hasn't happened to me, yet) I would first reply with, "coach do you want me watching the pitch or the batter's feet at the moment of the swing?"

If he didn't get the clue after that line, I would then reply with, "fine coach, here's what we're going to do: we're going to enforce every "box rule" today for the rest of the game. None of your coaches are going to leave their coaches' box for any reason or they're done, your catcher must keep his foot in the catcher's box on every pitch and I'll have my eyes glued to your batter's feet every time they're up on each and every pitch."

Trust me: that will end it...he will back off. If it didn't he deserves to be tossed for being stupid, or as Joe Brinkman likes to say "he deserves to be tossed on general principles."