Thread: Pitching Arm
View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Could you point me to a rule reference for batting gloves and wrist
bands being illegal under OBR rules? I've got in my OBR book, under rule 1.11 a(2): Any part of an undershirt exposed to view shall be of a uniform solid colour for all players on a team. Any player other than the pitcher may have numbers, letters, insignia attached to the sleeve of the undershirt.

This rule states that it is illegal for the pitcher to have anything on his sleeve, but it doesn't make specific reference to arm bands or batting gloves, or any other apparel that may be worn. Maybe I'm applying the rules a bit too word for word and should just go with what the intent of the rule is, which is to keep the pitcher from distracting the batter, but my philosophy is for the most part to go with exactly what the rulebook says.
You need more than just the rule book. You need the interpretations manuals and chronicles also.

MLBUM: 2.10 PLAYERS WEARING GOLF GLOVES
A pitcher is not allowed to wear a golf glove while pitching. Other defensive players may wear a golf glove on their glove hand but they shall not rub the ball with the golf glove on their hand.

2.13 WRISTBANDS
No player is permitted to wear white wrist bands or bandages because of the difficulty in discerning the white of the baseball and the white of the wrist band. Colored bands are permitted, but a white band with a colored stripe is still considered a white band and is prohibited.

PBUC: 1.22 BATTING GLOVES
No pitcher shall be allowed to wear a batting glove while pitching. Other defensive players may wear a batting glove on their glove hand but they shall not rub the ball with the batting glove on their hand.

LL: 1.11(a)(3): A pitcher shall not wear any item on his/her hands, wrists or arms which may be distracting to the batter.

There are similar interpretations in other rules sets.