View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 03:33pm
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
How do you know we weren't? Why take it all so personally.

For me, I was not responding to anyone in particular ... just stating that this is REALLY not something that can be seen on a semi-normal pitch. Only the truly abnormal play (reaching across on a pitchout, or a stationary batter bunting) is likely to get this call.
I didn't say you were. I'm not taking it personally. However, when one is quoted it usually means the response is directed to that particular person. When people respond to posts, by and large there is a tendency to read more into the post than was originally intended. And I agree with it not being seen on a semi-normal pitch. However, that was never the issue.

The OP asked for advice on how to handle the situation when it comes up, not advice on his technique or what else he should be doing. Below is what OP said.

How do others handle this? Yesterday I called the batter out for being out of the batter's box. Have you warned the batter first? Or not called it at all? Or just called it as it should be called?

I have called this twice now in my relatively short umpiring career and both times the batter happened to hit run scoring singles.

All he wanted was some simple advice with dealing with the situation. The situation involved something he saw - right, wrong or indifferent. He wanted to know how to address it, and not whether his technique was bad. We're not talking about the batter's box line not being there or how high up the batter lifted his leg. We're talking about I SAW A VIOLATION - NOW THAT I'VE SEEN IT HOW DO I ADDRESS IT.

We all know it's not obvious. He had three questions.
1. Should I have warned the batter? YES or NO
2. Should I have not called it at all? YES or NO
3. Should I have called it just the way is supposed to be called? YES or NO

If responders stick to dealing with what the OP wanted and nothing else the thread would have been over long ago. Some are determined that they are going to go off on a tangent, and find something else wrong in the name of giving advice.

It's like me calling my insurance agent saying I was running a little late and I got in an accident when somebody broadsided me going through a red light - what do I do, and him saying 'why were you running late'.

Tell me what I need to know and let me move on. Don't tell me how to build a watch if I ask you what time it is.