View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBark
Junker, I'm not on their case. I actually watch the NBA games when I get a chance. And I'm not on the officiates as much as I wish the NBA would let them make the call. Taking 4 steps to get to the hole is traveling and if it's not, then it's not basketball. and the talent level is way above what most of us see, they should be able to make their moves LEGALLY under the rules. And I would love a chance to be an NBA official. I wish all of my games were taped because I would review them immediately after the game just as the NBA guys do. So, don't misunderstand my post...it's more directed at the NBA as a whole rather than the officials. I probably could have worded my original post better for that I'm sorry. So, NBA shape up!!!! You NBA officials, I think are great and doing the best you can under the current NBA management!!!
Then do it. Someone doesn't just find you. You have to get in front of someone and be liked by them.

You and alot of people have no idea how the pro game works and how the heads of the officials work. The crap about the head office not letting the refs "make the call" is bullcrap. I will guarantee you that there are more travels called in HS that are not travels than travels that are missed in the NBA. I will guarantee you that! How many travel calls do we or our crew miss a night. I would bet its a lot more than the NBA guys. The insuation(sp?) that they let all this stuff go is ridiculous and is still being harped on, because they used to be very lax about it 5-10 yrs. ago and no one has attempted to watch or pay attention to the game again. People come on here and say they miss all these plays, but no wait, you don't watch the NBA anymore, so how do you know what they miss. Watch 2+ games a week in the NBA instead of 5 min. and tell me if you don't change your mind. Yes they miss travels and so called "minor" violations, but we all do, its just that we get to see it on replay 12 times, criticizing them and how they missed it, and they don't. Well they do but its after the fact.

I love how the pro game is officiated. Call me a fanboy, if you will. They don't have a "let 'em play" mentality. They believe that the refs set the tempo and set a standard of how the rest of the game is going to be officiated. If there is a bump or bodycheck going to the hole, they don't wait to see if the ball is going in, they blow the whistle. If a coach steps over the line, they don't console him and put there arm around him to calm him down. They whack him, cause its the only thing they can and will respect, and they move on.

These guys are the best in the business. They get there plays right and they manage the game better than anyone, while still being the most professional you can possibly be (with the exception of Joey Crawford going off his rocker the other night).