View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Re: INT
I was with you in Knee Jerk reaction to the change.. youre standing fast with the knee jerk reaction making estimations I doubt will come to fruition on any appreciable level.
It already has, or haven't you been paying attention to the threads and clips on a few boards.

Quote:
With ASA, I am not particularly a "company man". I hate the fact they have turned me into a walking ASA billboard..
Say what? Even though the NCAA's official uniform is plain, do you see the umpires in their championships? What is wrong with an organization placing their name and/or logo on their uniform? Does a UPS, Fed/Ex, Aramark, Hooter's or thousands of other business concerns place their name and/or logo on their uniforms? I'm sorry, but this is just plain whining.

Quote:
In sum, the chicken little predictions are just that - over reaction. Wait and see. I'm sure like me we will both work many tourneys this summer.. I would lay odds that little changes from last year or the year before in execution of the game.
No, if you want chicken little check with the Dept. of Homeland Security.
Quote:

In any case, there will not be an American Dodgeball Assoc. this year on the softball field. Bad calls.. probably.. attempts by coaches to stretch it or want more.. probably, not Dodgeball though. That is hyperbole that has little merit IMO.
If the local associations do their job, you are correct.

However, I've already been involved in league and player meetings where this has already been raised, FP & SP. Many players and coaches honestly believe the rule now gives the defense the right-of-way anytime throwing the ball and if that is not corrected from day one, it just may turn into dodgeball on some fields.

Again, something that many seem to forget. Though the rules are for Championship Play, they are used throughout the country at all levels and there are many umpires that do not get the opportunity to attend good clinics and don't bother to work at getting the job done right. There are also some who do attend clinics, but believe THEIR way is better than whomever's and proceed to call all their games based on Joe Blow's Official Rules of Softball. This is where the problems are going to occur.

But it doesn't stop there. These same teams travel to other areas and when they run into good umpires who know how to call the game and properly apply the rules, they think they are being shafted by ASA when, in fact, it was the Joe Blow Umpire Assn. who set the teams up for failure.