View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I didn't check Rule 1, but I was looking for a definition of the playing court. What can I say?
Now, that said, the answer to your question is yes unless rule 1 defines it as you say it does; in which case the answer is no.
Now, consider this scenario:
1. A has throwin along their FC sideline. (Team control established)
2. A1 releases ball where it goes into the back court after a)bouncing in FC, b)being tipped by A2. (FC status achieved by ball while TC is already ongoing.)
3. A3 retrieves ball in the backcourt.

If team control is established during a throwin, then it's a violation in both a and b.
Well, since NCAA has team control during a throw-in, I'm using their rules as a basis. In both your a) and b) examples, it would not be a violation, due to NCAA 7-6-4, which states, "When the throw-in spot is adjacent to a front court boundary line, the throw in team may cause the ball to go in the back court." This is the same wording in 9-12-4, which deals with back court violations and penalties.

I believe the intent of this exception is to make the throw-in situations the same in both NFHS and NCAA, except for allowing a team control foul to be called during a throw-in.

(Used with permission.)