View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I do not like the advice from M&M about talking to the official outside of the court because that will not go over well very often. Even if you are trying to help, there are people that will be very offended by what you tell them. I have found those that really want to get better will either ask about plays and situations on their own in these types of settings. You are not going to change the spots on a leopard anytime soon. So I would think just deal with it when you know who you are working with. Remember not everyone comes to officiating with the passion to get better that many here might have. Just like any profession there are always going to be bottom feeders and that is no different in officiating.

Peace
I did use one important word in my whole premise - "maybe". Maybe no one has told him he's terrible, other than fans and coaches (and who really listens to them anyway, right?). Maybe he doesn't know the right way and wrong way to do things, because, let's face it, most "good" officials avoid those types of games, and his only mentor is Old School.

You are right in saying there are a number of people that really don't care, and they are in it just for the check. But how will you know that for sure until you say something? I guess that's my point - don't automatically assume the guy doesn't care. He may actually be a sponge for information. The problem might be he is soaking up all the other rec-league officials' bad habits.

So, just talk to him. If you get the impression he's not interested in your help, move on. You never know until you try.

(Used with permission.)