View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 01:38pm
Ch1town

A little advise please

I know many of you don’t work AAU/wreck AT ALL, but for the few of us that do… how would you handle working with a bad partner? Because a bad partner will make the sharpest official look horrid.

I’m talking about the guy that doesn’t work ANY level of MS or HS ball & doesn’t desire to. You know the church league/wreck in it for a quick buck type of fellows.
ie: waving in subs after a made basket (clock running), administering the ball on the baseline after 2 FTs for a T, reporting your fouls for you, having the GALL to make calls in the lane when they haven’t even crossed half-court in the T position, tossing the jump & sprinting to the L position (2 man), etc.

That being said, I’m not the greatest or even close, that’s why I still do wreck ball, to sharpen my skills & be ready for camps this summer. When working a game my goal is NOT to be noticed on the court (before, during, after games) I don’t even want to hear “you did a great job blue” after my games unless it’s from the losing coach/team/fans IMO that’s the only time it’s really sincere.

NOTE: I don’t care what fans think/say or I would never have picked up a whistle in the 1st place, but I’m just saying…

When you get out there with some yahoo making huge mistakes the typical response is ALWAYS “those refs don’t know what they're doing”.
I hate to have the door opened for those type of statements to start flying around the gym.

It seems as though some assignors just want their games worked, quality or competency aren’t factors in the off season. Besides not working that brand of ball, how would you handle this situation?

Last edited by Ch1town; Thu Apr 12, 2007 at 01:43pm.