View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 09:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
First of all what you say is ultimately up to you. You have every right to refuse to work a game you were not assigned. You also do not have to explain why you refuse either. All they can do is ask and you have every right to refuse for what ever reason you give them. If you want to say "I have to wash my hair later" that is your business.

I think people forget that this is an extra curricular activity for most of us. We are independent contractors. We do not have to do anything we do not feel comfortable with or we did not original sign up for. I think calling the assignor was the right thing to do in the end. You are not cattle to be herded in any direction they wish.

Peace
I assign umpires for a 44-team league that plays most of its games at 1PM on Sundays. At the pre-season umpire meeting, I made it clear that umpires sign on to work the game at the scheduled starting time and if, for whatever reason, the start of the game is delayed (the usual is that they want to push back to 2PM for weather reasons, mainly cause nobody showed up early to work the field) they are under NO OBLIGATION to stay and work.

Any association that would expect any more from the umpires values the business more than it values the members.