View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
I disagree with responding. He's simply looking to blame you for the loss, so he's throwing out a somewhat neutral dig. I wouldn't over analyze it. For me, it goes in one ear and out the other, and we play on.

There's a lot of folks on here that suggest ignoring this stuff makes it happen more in the future. Sort of a, "you always let them get away with..." I disagree. My approach has been to get what's there and ignore what's not, or what would be if the talking kept up. I've had coaches that do stuff like this, and when I have them again, they don't step up the abuse more. Coaches I've worked regularly know I'm going to enforce the rules and I rarely have a lot of problems in that respect.
Unfortunately, for this ref, that was not the case. He is new, the coach did not know him nor did he know the coach.

If that type of a statement is ever said to me, I am either going to ask the coach to clarify or T him (depending on his behavior prior to making the statement). What I heard was the coach calling me a "homer", but not in those words. To me he is implying that. If that is what he really meant, it is an automatic T. Allowing the coach to clarify lets him know that "Homey don't play that game" and gives him some wiggle room to back away from the T he may have already deserved. I don't like to T coaches, but have no problem taking care of business if necessary. Also, this is a JV coach - it is a learning process for him as to what can and cannot be said. Something he needs to learn if he wants to move up.

Last edited by Ref in PA; Tue Apr 10, 2007 at 01:40pm.