View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 11:40am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
When the official signed up to umpire for THIS league and there are no Umpires who showed up for the JV game, then the BU according to the Protocol established is suposed to do the JV game.

IMO it's cut and dry. The only comment I would have that would not be fair is if the offficial was paid the JV rate. That I disagree with, but as long as this official was paid the Varsity Fee and probably 1/2 extra for working solo I do not see a problem. It's not like he had to travel to do the JV game.

This association also has cause to suspend this official for not abiding by the association requirements as Nick indicated in the original thread.

If this official STRICTLY wants to umpire Varsity games and is unwilling to accept the protocol that when no umpires show-up for a JV game the BU is required to suit up and do the JV game, then he should either join a different association or make this perfectly CLEAR to the assignor.

If this official did that, my guess is that his assignments in the future would vastly decrease.

Pete Booth
I am so glad that everyone knows what he signed up for and all the policies associated with that organization. I am glad you know that even when from the very beginning of this thread nothing was stated about such policy or why he did not have the right to refuse the JV game. But I did hear a lot of "He was chicken" and "He should not do what the school asked" bull crap. I know when people join the organizations around here I know for a fact they do not know everything about the organization from top to bottom and all the policies involved. If this is such an important policy, I am sure Nick is going to tell us how they spend several meetings with prospective members to go over this very important policy.

Either way you look at it; there is nothing wrong in my book for officials having a preference as to what levels they do. For all we know maybe, just maybe he works a majority college schedule (like a lot of people sometimes do) and his over all focus is on that level. You might not like it, but that is the way the world works. Not everyone is umpiring for all levels with the same passion and expectation as you and others here might want us to. My season basically ends in May/June because I have other things in my life I want to do after that point. I bet the next thing you will tell me is the assignors want me to work games after the HS/college season is over, I do not have the right to refuse those games because an association has me as a member.

Peace