View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 05, 2002, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by David Emerling

Normally, I would agree with you on this, but this is such a well-known and common trick play, that every good umpire should be able to recognize it when they see it and handle it appropriately. To do what you suggest - implies that the play is illegal. Everybody knows that it is NOT illegal! So, you only show your ignorance of the rules or your unwillingness to handle a common trick play when you call "Time" and chastize the offensive coach for attempting this play.

David I agree with your philosophy but not the application. YES, the defense should't be so stupid and fall for this, but there will be some youth teams who see this and will ultimately try it and a young defense who doesn't know any better will probably fall for it.

I do not think the rule-makers invisioned a player leaving first and going to right field. The object is to touch first, second, third and home in order. Not first base, right field, second base, center field, third base, left field and finally home.

In a way, one could argue that is a Travesty of the game because IMO even though the rule states specifically about running bases in reverse order, running the bases in the example giving is also making a game a travesty.

As with anything in baseball, when the game starts to resemble a farce I say stop the nonsense. Ever done a major boys LL game? In that division it's not that uncommon for runners to play that "cat and mouse game" with F1. I give the offense their shot and allow the runner to try and draw a throw from F1, but I will not allow the constant "shenanigans".

I agree with Peter on this issue.

Pete Booth