Thread: AAU Issues
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 09, 2007, 03:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I do not think the over all problem is ever the officials. I think the problem is the tournament structure. There is money these teams put into these teams and often times the coaches are not real coaches. You get some dad, pro athlete or business owner running a team rather than someone that has that kind of training or background. I have seen some of the most competent officials have to deal with the most out of hand coaches and players. You can have all the best intentions and attitudes and some coach that has never been reprimanded all summer long can give you crap. I have thrown out coaches only to have them try to approach me after the game (not in a threatening way) about why they were thrown out and an evaluation of what my resume was. I once had a coach try to tell me that I was not a HS official because I was not wearing an IHSA Patch on my sleeve during a tournament. Little did the dumb azz know I do not wear patches during those kinds of games (a lot of people do not wear them). But you could not tell that to this fool. So it really never is going to matter how good you are or how experienced you are. These games will always have some kind of problem unless tournament directors want to put their foot down. But that might mean they lose money or teams in the process. So that will not happen anytime soon in most cases under the current structure.

Peace
I think that you're right in many ways here. The point that I was trying to make is that officials who work these kinds of games should put up with far LESS crap, when a lot of guys put up with more. Tournament directors who are looking at the money will often allow coaches to protest and complain about the officiating and try to accomodate them. I've had coaches similar to the one that you've had. Unfortunately, I think a lot of guys will try to adjust or accomodate to the wishes of the tournament director to keep the games. My personal attitude is that if a coach, or anyone goes whining to a tournament director, and the guy doesn't back me up, I will just choose not to work for the guy anymore, it's just not worth it.

I think the other part of the coin is the guys who work 10-12 games in a day (which again speaks to the greed of the tournament director). Those guys do a disservice, in my opinion, to the games that they're working, and it's with these guys in mind that tournament directors will give teams leeway to protest.