Thread: check swing
View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 08, 2007, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
That is an interesting philosophy Irish, though I suspect neither of us have any scientific or historical data to support our beliefs. I see it the other way.

A checked swing is a superior skill of a batter to react at the last instant to discontinue a swing already started because the pitch is not what the batter wants to hit.

Keep in mind that a 60mph pitch passes the batter 1/3 of a second after being released. Most batters are starting to uncoil with the release of the ball and are making decisions in that 1/3 second.

I find it interesting that many umpires want to place the fault on the players for things that don't go right in a game. In this situation, the umpire, in his honest and best judgment called the pitch a ball. The batter heard that and stayed home. Why can't we admit that it was the umpire's changing of the game situation that put the batter in jepordy? Isn't our primary function to keep a fair and equitable balance between the offense and the defense? Isn't that why we have the rule that Dakota quoted?

IMO, the PU should deny the appeal request; even to telling the coach why. If the appeal is made, than the BU should recognize the situation and simply say, "No, she didn't swing." Don't give me that crap that a BU is obligated (by some mythical umpire union's bylaws!) to signal exactly what he saw. His obligation is to keep the game fair. He does that by saying "No" to what he saw.

WMB
I think in principle.. you are correct on whether to allow the appeal.

I think in a game, I probably wouldnt think quick enough to not allow it.. so the runner would get zapped if BU rang em up.

I think if the appeal is granted, the BU MUST give his actual opinion of what he saw. You cant fudge this one.

When I fudge that is when I have a weak partner who needs training on when to allow a coach to get you to "go for help", so he improperly allows it - so I will just affirm my partners call and talk to them at the 1/2 inning. A check swing is a perfectly acceptable reason to go for help, in the same light of pulled foots, bobbles, pick offs with improper position, etc.