Thread: AAU Issues
View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 03:15pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_REF
Last year we had a large national AAU Tournament here. The play was good but the coaches were slightly out of line. At least three were removed from gyms by the Police Officers at the University hosting the event.

They're coming back this year. We asked our supervisor to discuss penalties for ejection with the Tournament Director. In regular season high school ball, if you get ejected you sit 1 game. We suggested that if a coach gets ejected he sits a game and if he's ejected twice, he's done for the tourney. The director refused and told us that the problem coaches weren't coming back anyways. Does anyone have similar rules for AAU Tournaments where you are?
Wow, and I thought I was the only one that has ever had to call in the police. I had a similar tournament last year and a coach from out of state was out of line. He bought in 3 teams which was quite a bill, including airfare. He was a piece of work and basically got upset when his team lost, you know, the immature type. Not a lot you can do accept discuss the situation with the tournament director. Be careful here with how hard you push because you could push yourself out if you're not careful. The coach is bringing in more business than you so you know who's going to win the argument with the host.

Actually, in the AAU, they don't put up with out of control coaches. There is some accountability here, but my program was a private program not affiliated with the AAU, so I'm stuck with what the host decides to do about it. If you are faced with this type of situation, just T him up when they get out of line, let the chips fall where they may. He gets 2 T's, he's got to leave the gym. Stand behind that. If he's the only coach like in my case, go get a parent to come sit on the bench. My point is, he's not sitting on that bench with 2 technicals. I would not worry about the fact that he gets to coach the next game. Hopefully, it won't be yours and if another set of officials gives him a T in the tournament that votes good for you.

Now, in the rare event, and I mention this because it could actually happen. But in the rare event, this guy gets tossed in a semi-final game and his team wins, and I'm working the final game. He ain't coaching that final game. I would let him back into the gym, but he ain't sitting on the bench and I would try to enforce this even if I wasn't the officials working the final game. Of course, the final decision rests with the hosts and I would abide by any decision that was made.