View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Hey, refnrev, us oldsters have to really put a lot more into our hobby in order to stick to it, eh? Here are some things I've done that seem to help.

When you first wake up in the morning, get up and get moving. Start gradually, and increase the intensity for about the first hour you're awake. DON"T SIT DOWN for more than 5 minutes. Normal activities are sufficient as long as they involve motion. Dressing, showering, tidying, preparing to go to work, etc. Continue to move everything as much as possible.

Throughout the day, get up and move every part of your body for at least 5 to 10 minutes every hour. If you don't have something really active to do, just do low level stretching-type exercises, without any real push. Gently twist and turn your torso, rotate your arms, bend and reach your legs and knees, etc.

As others have said, add more stretching to your run/walk work-outs. Start very gently before you're warmed up, and then as the work-out continues, add more and more exertion to the stretching, but never stretch to the point of discomfort. Do more stretching at the end of the work-out, and be sure to "cool down" adequately, especially after games.

If you do a lot of sitting during the day, develop a schedule of sitting in different positions. Hunch over for five minutes, sit up military straight for five minutes, sit slightly sideways, raise and lower your chair, etc. This helps your back muscles continue working and not get too relaxed. It helps develop a low-level stamina.

Add a period of relaxation to your warm up before your work-out, and to your cool-down. One or two minutes of directed relaxation exercise really, really cuts back on the stiffness later on.

Short afternoon naps can help if you do some relaxation and motion activities when you first wake up. At least, that's the excuse I use for my naps!