View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
Ended my HS basketball season several weeks ago. Had about a month of MS V'ball then about a month off. I walked regularly and jogged a little in the off time. When fall soccer and then basketball season ended I was getting up and down the field and court with no problems at all. Now my Spring soccer season started last Monday and I have been so stiff and my knees have been so sore (I have arthritis in both) and my lower back so tight that I'm running so much slower than normal. I can ususally keep up with the HS boys without working too hard, but am working hard just to keep pace with the girls. Also I am so stiff and sore afterwards. I've never had this happen before. Have any of you? Any suggestions or thoughts? I'm real concerned!
I don't think it's a serious problem. Problem just has to with age and the different sports you are working. Volleyball can put a lot of pressure on knee's since you are standing so long, top it off with arthritis, I would be surprised with if you didn't feel anything. You hit the nail on the head on the head when you said you can keep with the boys. Exactly you aren't work hard. You body is use to work load in boys game but when the girls come you work harder which the body is used to yet especially knee's since more movements are being made more frequent than in a boys game.

I would recommend stretch, do some warm up before the game( jog, sprint) up and down the endline. I officiate high school and college basketball and do that before we tip off. I also take some IB profen 2 tablets. I'm only 21 but take just incase something does happen I can minimize pain. I have a bad right ankle and wear braces on both for some protection. IB profen helps me. You may want to try that. For you lower back, you may want to some stretching and lunges if you can to loosen it up. Hope this helps.