View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 06, 2007, 11:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan1952
Hmm.. JRutledge makes a good point, but I suspect if the other game had been varsity, he wouldn't have raised a stink. It sounds like JV is beneath him.
Maybe it would have been "beneath him" but that is his right to feel that way. I know lower level umpire/officials that feel they are not ready for varsity or college ball. I do know of umpires that are not eager to move up just because they are asked. Some feel they are not ready. And if this story was turned the other way around I doubt seriously that any of us would be using the same hyperbole about this umpire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan1952
I was just wondering if you guys get stuck with only one ump very often, especially at the varsity/JV levels. Around here, it happens for Jr High games and occasionally for freshman games, but not varsity, unless there's a last-minute emergency. Even then, a replacement would be called in pretty quickly. Since this league had adopted an accepted procedure for splitting the umps to cover both games, it must not be that uncommon. Maybe they need to find a way to recruit more umps. (Maybe a pay raise?) It's not right to have only one ump at that level. It's not fair to the umps and it's not fair to the players.
It happens very rare to know knowledge, at least not with the organization I work for. Having said that almost all lower level games in this part of the state are assigned with only one umpire (which I personally find as completely stupid, but that is another conversation for another day). It is unusual that most people do not show up for varsity games mainly because everyone does not get those shots. And the consequences for missing a varsity game without a very good excuse can be heavy.

Peace