View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 06, 2007, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Not totally relevant to the post, other than the idea that the players attitudes should maybe dicate a catch or no catch.

Bases juiced, no outs. Line shot to F5. I'm PU. I see a hop, I come up with "NO CATCH NO CATCH". It was really close and it took alot of selling. The batter started walking towards his dugout. F5 stepped on 3rd, and tagged the runner coming back to 3rd because (presumably) he thought it was a catch. I think F5, who wasn't that great of a ball player, was confused himself. He stepped on 3rd and then casually tagged the runner who was trotting back to 3rd, seemingly as an assurance that that man was out. Of course, R2 was out, now R3 was out with a tag, and the BR was standing in the dugout.

All in about 4 seconds of action...

That's a tough play. I had a very similar thing happen when I was coaching a couple years ago, except the ump called it a catch. I was coaching 3rd base so I had a very good angle to see the bounce. I couldn't blame the poor ump too much. It was very, very close to being a catch. I just wish he had called it a catch sooner. Our baserunner at 3rd (my son) was picked off for a double play when he was almost home. I sent him when I saw the bounce. He would have made it easily. I remember it well. In two-man mechanics there are going to be some blind spots, especially with multiple baserunners. It happens. Unfortunately, not all coaches are so understanding.