Thread: It Has To Stop!
View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 06, 2007, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Long before I thought about picking up a whistle...

Many years ago when I was in college, I served on the Faculty-Student Judicial Board...a kind of "last appeal" for everything from parking tickets to academic dishonesty. We heard many cases concerning student athletes, but only one intramural case, almost a duplicate of what is described.

Not only did the player get charged by the local prosecutor, the Dean of Students suspended him for the remainder of the semester (no refund of fees) and placed him on academic probation if he re-enrolled the following semester. When he tried to change schools, he found his transcript was marked with all this information and the other schools were also going to place him on academic probation as a condition of enrollment. He appealed to us to overturn the suspension, which we did not. His academic career was severely derailed because he'd lost his temper during a stupid IM basketball game and broke a ref's nose.

TMP, the bottom line is this: the school has got to step in with an additional punishment other than "banned from IM sports" to make students think twice about doing something crazy like this.