View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNCref
Unfortunately, as far as the networks are concerned, it does. If CBS though that what people really wanted was a portrayal of everything that happens in a game which is completely devoid of any personal factor, they would have fired almost every announcer a long time ago. The fact of the matter is, what they say doesn't matter to CBS, as long as they keep the people tuned in and watching. Sure, most people would watch the game without the commentators, but what about all the pregame (which brings in even more ad revenue) and all the little interjections they make about products or companies during timeouts.

CBS is a business, and as long as these guys are making them money, they don't care what they do.

I don't buy that argument, and here is why.

People tune in to watch the game, not the guys calling the game.

Undoubtedly the network does polls, and tracks mail to judge the popularity of their announcers, but I highly doubt CBS would lose one viewer of the final four if they canned Packer tomorrow.

I for one am tired of the delivery of product at the most basic level. Stop sucking the intelligence out of everything because you are afraid of losing viewers. Stop feeding the bottom feeders useless crap while making everyone else miserable.

This is the sports equivalent of the evening news spending more time on Anna Nicole Smith than real news.

Last edited by blindzebra; Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 03:23pm.