Thread: NCAAA Final
View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 10:11am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC22
Corbett set the tempo for the final game and it is all but amazing that the Florida Gators were able to win this game. It is testimony to Donovan keeping his composure and his players able to step up and hit big shots when it counted down the stretch. I have Tito and could review each call as it was made. The foul called on Horford at the beginning of the game was a "message" call. One of the worst calls in a big game I have ever seen. Corbett and crew clearly intended to protect Oden and make him a star. There was nothing any of the Florida players could do. If they touched Ogden they were whistled for a foul. Even when Richards had his arm against Oden's back to keep Oden from leaning back and pushing him down under the basket Richards was whistled. Just absolutely atrocious officiating, particularly by Corbett. Just awful.
That's what champions do. They step up.

I'm sure the officials pregamed that they didn't want Oden to get in foul trouble early with nothing ticky-tack. If you're going to call one on him, make sure it's legitimate.

If you're talking about that foul call on the break where there was no contact. We talked about that in the bar last night, and the player has to take some ownership of getting that call blown against him. He doesn't make that swipe, official has no reason to put air in the whistle. The thing about it, is anybody can make a mistake. If I'm going to make a mistake, I'd rather do it early in the game then late in the game. The point is, you didn't continue to see calls like this thru-out the rest of the game which tells me this was a call to get the referee going. Now that I made that first call, I'm ready to officiate. I call it getting settled into the game. I thought they settled into this game very nicely because the 2nd half was very well called.

It's easy to sit back after the fact and say you would have did this or that. Let me tell you, when you're working big games like that. There is another element you can't see. It's call stage fright, being in the lime light, front and center stage. You got to get those pre-gitters out of you just like the players do. We all get it and if you say you don't you're lying. Once you start running and getting into your routine, things start to settle down for you and you begin to see and think clearly. That be the way it is...no exceptions, nobody escapes this.