View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 11:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by janes14
I was told it results in a technical foul. This call was made with 1.9 seconds left in a state game when a player was excited about an impending victory.
You were answered on the other Forum and the rules haven't changed since then.
mick

March 3, 2002

Jay players celebrate after the Tigers stunned Calais 48-47 to capture the Class C state title Saturday night in Augusta.-Jose Leiva

CLASS C BOYS' BASKETBALL

Jay stuns Calais
By Randy Whitehouse

Staff Writer

Email this story
Printer friendly version

AUGUSTA —The Jay Tigers needed a miracle to win the Class C boys championship Saturday night and they got it.

A technical foul on Calais with 1.4 seconds left allowed Brian Fournier to make the game-winning free throws as the Tigers pulled out an incredible come-from-behind 48-47 win and their first gold ball since 1984.

Taking the ball out under Jay’s basket with 1.4 seconds left and protecting a 47-46 lead, Calais was whistled for the technical when senior Darren Morrell stepped out of bounds before the ball was put in play. Since the play was not after a made basket, Calais was T’d up for having four players on the floor.

“We were going to try to foul before the ball got in, and I was chasing (Morrell) around and he went out of bounds,” Fournier said. “They didn’t call it until the (inbounder) got the ball, and then he went back out of bounds. I didn’t realize it was a technical for having only four players on the court until after the fact.”

Fournier, an 87 percent free-throw shooter during the season, then stepped up and coolly drained the free throws to end it.

“I just wanted to make one of them. If I made one of them we could at least send it into overtime,” he said. “If you make one of them, then the pressure’s off, especially if you make the first one.”

Jay had to come back all night, and saved their best rally for last. The Tigers (19-4) missed nine of their first 10 shots in the fourth quarter, yet managed to fall behind by no further than five. Calais led by four with 33 seconds left when Josh Armandi hit a 3 to make it 47-46. An offensive foul on the Devils gave Jay the ball back with a chance to take the lead with 20 seconds left, but Tyrell Waldon’s off-balance shot and follow-up were both short, and the ball went out of bounds off Jay to set up the fateful ending.

“We were lucky, and sometimes you gotta be as lucky as good,” said Jay coach Steve Hamilton, who led the Tigers to the state crown in his first year on the job. “It was a game of two halfs, one ugly and one pretty good.”

Derek and Josh Armandi led Jay with 15 points each and Waldon added 12. Andy Frost led Calais (21-2) with 17 points and Joe Footer added 16.

Calais came out the aggressor from the opening tip. The Blue Devils took full advantage of their size and crashed the offensive boards, and good ball movement helped get Footer (10 first half points) clean looks at the basket. The Devils took a 14-9 lead after one quarter.

Jay, meanwhile, started out tentative on offense, with only point guard Brian Fournier attacking the basket with regularity. That resulted in nearly a seven-minute span where the Tigers didn’t score. Calais went on a 12-0 run, beginning in the first quarter on a Frost bucket, and ending two minutes into the second on a Provencher three-point play that made it 20-9 Devils. Derek Armandi finally broke the slump with a fall-away with 5:16 to go in the half. The Tigers’ full-court pressure then produced a couple of turnovers that helped them claw back to within single digits, 26-18, at halftime.

Jay regrouped during the break and attacked the basket with more authority in the second half. Credit Derek and Josh Armandi with finding the gaps in the Calais zone. The brothers combined to score 12 of Jay’s first 14 points in the third quarter, including a nifty drive by Derek that tied the game for the first time at 32-32 with 2:43 left in the period.

“We feed off each other,” said Waldon. “When we see one person succeeding, the level of play just rises. Tonight, I’d have to give it to Derek and Josh. They just kept the team rolling.”

Rolling to the third state championship in school history.

“I don’t know what to say. That was probably one of the weirdest finishes I’ve ever seen,” said senior Ryan Ouellette. “I’m just flabbergasted over this whole thing.”

Comment on this story or discuss it with other readers in the SOLARIUM

Email this article to a friend!
*all information is required
Your Name:
Your Email:
Send to:

HOME ] NEWS ] SPORTS ] OPINION ] BUSINESS] OBITUARIES ] NATIONAL NEWS ] eGAMES ] SPECIAL REPORTS ] SOLARIUM ] PHOTO GALLERY ] FUNERAL NOTICES ] SUBSCRIBE ] CLASSIFIEDS ] eMAINEAUTOS ]
ADVOCATE ] ASPIRE ] ABOUT US ] INFORM US ] BACK ISSUES ]
©1998,99,00 Lewiston Sun Journal. All Rights Reserved.

[Edited by mick on Mar 3rd, 2002 at 10:21 PM]