View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
Did you learn anything from the weekend? Was there anything in your game management that you could've done to prevent 1,2 or all 10 techs? Do you pre-game the coaches and captains? I know it's only AAU or YBOA, but I pre-game the coaches at the 3 minute mark, and I let them know that SPORTSMANSHIP is a requirement, and their fans are their responsibility. If you let them know up front what you are and aren't going to put up with, then it may help during your game. If anything, it'll show the coach that you have your $h!t together. If you're just tossing the ball up, then they're going to assume that they can coach and act the same way that they've always acted. And as always, players take on the same personality of their coaches. Just my .02.
Well said. Those weekends suck, but I think most officials go through them, I know I did. I used to pregame only with the coaches and explain that sportsmanship was THE priority. it seemed to help sometimes. The other trick I used was when I knew I was on the same court for 5 or six games, I'd be really quick on the trigger in the first game. Usually there were fans, coaches or players I'd see throughout the day. Send the message early.